Aarhus City Hall is designed by the famous architects Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller and was inaugurated in 1941.
In 1995, the building was listed due to its outstanding architecture. In 2006, it was included in Denmark’s new Culture Canon, where it is characterised as a ‘beautifully patinated building complex, which is not just one of Denmark’s most opulent buildings, but also a chief work, which in Denmark symbolises the transition to a more regional interpretation of the modernistic architecture’.
The City Hall is a ferroconcrete building covered in 6,000 m2 of Norwegian marble plates. The building was originally designed without a tower, but due to popular demand, the architects added the distinctive tower. The tower which since then has become a landmark for Aarhus stands 60 m tall. In the upper part of the tower, there is a carillon including 43 bells, which three times a day play Morten Børup’s old song 'In vernalis temporis'.
The design is thought-through all the way. The world-famous furniture architect Hans J. Wegner had his first large job designing the interior, the furniture and all the details together with Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller.